Monday, March 3, 2008

Lightning

Sunday, March 2, 2008, was a really good day. Church was great once again, I was able to go home and see dad, the kids, and Lauren. Then Oklahoma weather came into play. I really like thunder-storms. I think they are really awesome. I am not sure why, but I think they are great, as long as I am inside.

Last night Lauren and I went her Grandma Phillis' house to have desert (which ended up being dinner) and visit. It was a lot of fun. Then all of the sudden bam... it is raining like crazy outside. Then the sirens went off. It was great, except for the fact that I had to take Lauren home, get my laundry from the house, and pick up my room mate Todd from the airport. All within 2 hours and right in the middle of this huge storm.

So I took Lauren home, and went home to get my laundry. I walk back out to the car to go get Todd and I open the garage door, and it was like we were in a hurricane. In my weird mind it was like trying to walk through an acquarium withouth the fish because there was no seperation between the rain drops. At least it didn't feel like it. I threw all of my stuff in the car and got in. I was safe... kind of.

You know, my car is a convertable. It is great. The chicks dig it. It is sweet looking. And it is a stick. It is great, and I am very greatful for it. But you know what, you don't feel as safe in thunderstorms in it. I think if lightning would have hit the car, I would have died. So I was scared.

I took off going a blazing 30 mph on 59th. I could barely see. I get to Sunnylane, and I am doing fine. I get on the highway, and flash... I can't see anything. Lightning had struck at least once really close to me. It was freaky! But I was thinking about it later on, and I thought, "You know, that must have been a glimps of what God's glory is like. BLINDING! AWESOME! SCARY! I mean seriously God said to Moses that no one could see His face and live. I don't know all that entails, but I think that a lot of it is because His glory is just that powerful. And then when Moses returned from the mountain to the Israelites, his face was radiant because he had been with God. That is cool.

Then there is when Jesus reveals His glory to Peter, James, and John. The Bible says Jesus' robe became whiter than any man could bleach it. That is cool. There was nothing surrounding them but Christ's glory. And it was bright. Really bright.

Chris told me a verse that verifies that God's glory is similar to a flash of lightning. But I can't remember what it is. So I decided to go to biblegateway.com. It is great. And I found a really good verse for what I felt in that moment. Psalms 97:4 says, "His lightning lit up the world, the earth saw and trembled." That is definately what I was feeling at that moment. It is great! Especially since I was just teaching about fearing God in Sunday school (that thought just popped into my mind). I was definately scared at that time. But I also prayed very intently that God would protect me, and He did. He never fails in doing that. Once I passed I-35, the rain lit up quite a bit, and there was no more lightning. I was very releaved. But I did learn from my experience.

So now I have a little better understanding of what God's glory is truly like: blinding, awesome, and scary.

3 comments:

John and Becky Henderson said...

I don't know if I would say scary...but definitely deserving of awe and reverance. I miss the good old spring thunderstorms. We are under a flood watch tonight....even though it hasn't started raining yet. It is supposed to rain later tonight and with all of the recent snowfall, I guess that constitutes flooding in these parts. :-)
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Ok, so you didn't tell me that on the phone! Wow! I am glad you are ok. That is a really great analogy too. God truly is amazing. Storms like that really are a glimps of how powerful He is. I stand back in awe.

PS. The chicks totally do dig your car. ;) Well...at least this one does! Although...I think I dig the guy driving even more. :)

britt said...

I guess fearful would be a better word than scary. That is more of what I meant, anyways. But there was that time that I was scared because I was like, "Ah, I am driving and can't see!" But I am glad you pointed that out. I need to be more careful with my choice of words.