Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Learning (I guess this could be rated a PG-13 post)

Lately in class we have been talking a lot about sex and marriage. Please do remember that I am in 5 Sociology classes. That is very important in knowing why we have talked about these things. Otherwise, you might just think my classes are perverted or something. But we have talked about these things a lot recently. And quite honestly I hate it. Every time we talk about one of these topics I just leave the class discouraged. I simply can not stand the world view that is being taught or the fact that the students already have this worldview.

Here are some examples of what we have talked about, and why I am discouraged.

In my Aging class we watched a video over senior adults. I left the class. Enough said.

In my gender class we talked about fraternity parties, and how people are used. That was awkward, because no one actually wanted to talk because they all did the stuff.

In my Population and Society class we talked about fertility rates and what affects fertility rates. That was actually not really bad. But it definately relates.

Lastly there was an article on the front page of the campus newspaper about different birth control practices for students.

In my Gender class again we watched a video over divorce and how the government is trying to help lower divorce rates by offering marriage classes. I think this is a good idea except for the fact that I think it is the churches job to do that, and some of the theories being taught by the government are way off.

All of these examples, and other classes that delt with the same issue resulted in the same response from people. It is ok to have sex outside of marriage, just don't get pregnant in the meantime unless you are married and you want to.

I come away from class thinking about how morally deprived our country is all the time. People are all for sex education as long as it doesn't tell them to abstain. What a novel idea. People are ok with getting a divorce, even within the church. They don't care what the Bible says or what Christians who actually walk according to what God's word says because you can't base what you believe on the Bible only. You need to know what the world says too.

Even Pastor Tony has addressed these types of issues and how the church as a whole (not First Southern) has decided that we need to keep up with the times and accept some of the social norms. We have forgotten what Romans 12:2 says, "Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect." (ESV)

God has transformed us by His Spirit, and I am so thankful for that. And to see people continually being decieved is really difficult to sit through. Fortunately I have talked a little in my Population and Society class, but in other classes I feel like I don't know what to say because I become overwhelmed with the lies that people have recieved.

So I guess what I am asking for is for God's people to pray desperately for the lost, and to speak out when we have the opportunity. I Peter 3:15 says to always be ready make a defense to anyone who asks of the hope within us, and I don't think that as a whole we are. We need to really know what God has for us and what He has commanded us so that we can do just that.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I know what you mean Britt. I had a marriage class in college, and I had to leave a few times. And, after I graduated, the professor got divorced, and remarried, in just a matter of months.

I am so grateful for you and Lauren and how you have chosen to do things God's way and wait for each other and that in and of itself is a testimony to so many people. Love you both!

Anonymous said...

This was good. The way the our society views sex as something that is not sacraed came up tonight in a conversation. I am so proud of you in th fact that even though this is discouraging for you, you are able to walk away wanting to pray and cry out for a change. That says a lot.

Love you!

John and Becky Henderson said...

I ditto the above.....can't say it better myself. :-)
Be a light!